The full new release is available on the APC website, under Latest APC News.
* Embattled college accreditor ACICS announces that it will halt new applications for accreditation while it institutes reforms. ProPublica reports: http://bit.ly/1UEzKHc
* Senate bill backs year-round Pell. Inside Higher Ed reports: http://bit.ly/1Yeo1lz
* The Center for American Progress recently issued a report, titled, “ACICS Must Go.” http://ampr.gs/1sw1eWn
* How companies profit off education at nonprofit schools. The Atlantic writes: http://theatln.tc/1TXx8Hi
* The U.S. Department of Education wants ITT Technical Institutes to increase its letter of credit from 10 percent to 20 percent after the institution’s accreditor questioned its integrity, Inside Higher Ed writes: http://bit.ly/217HbZt
* The Association of Private Sector Colleges and Universities, a group representing for-profit colleges and universities, is changing its name. The group will be called Career Education Colleges and Universities, to reflect its focus on career training. The Chronicle of Higher Education reports: http://bit.ly/1PhqHrp
* The U.S. Education Department will push to finalize rule on state approval of online programs before the end of the year. Inside Higher Ed reports: http://bit.ly/25LWBJB
* Struggling high schools tailored around emerging industries. The Associated Press writes about how Buffalo area public schools are working to motivate students to show up and graduate, as well as address employers’ concerns about a “skills gap” that threatens to leave them short-handed: http://bit.ly/1Y97yPe
* Higher education institutions can drive their retention and completion rates by investing in a robust academic advising infrastructure, helping them stand out to prospective students while following through on their mission. The EvoLLLution writes: http://bit.ly/1YcVKvR
* Turning tassels! Jamestown Business College graduates honored at 130th commencement. The Post-Journal reports: http://bit.ly/1WEVAxz (subscription required)
* LIM College student, Lynette Cassius, selected for prestigious summer internship program. St. Croix Source reports: http://bit.ly/1U7uV9q
* 2016 Innovation Summit: Mark your calendars and plan to join APC at the 2016 Innovation Summit on June 21st – 23rd at the Otesaga Hotel, Cooperstown, NY.
This year’s program will focus on presenting fresh, innovative ideas in the areas of regulatory affairs, student assessment and engagement, technology and social media. For information on how to register for the event, please visit the APC website.
*In case you missed it (ICYMI) is a weekly e-newsletter designed to bring you the big higher education news you might have missed. Look for it every Wednesday!*